Wednesday 11 April 2012

Dinotopia

I was trying to come up with ways in which to display my work or make it a little more interesting than just a board of finished, polished pieces. I really felt that for the final project the work should be really different from my previous stuff.
Around this time I was browsing in a charity shop, essentially killing time until i could have another meal, when I came across a book that looked like I really should of heard of it before. It was Dinotopia by James Gurney. Having never really grown out of the awesomeness of dinosaurs I was immediately attracted to the cover, I know you shouldn't judge books this way but every so often it has it's merits.

Once I'd gotten over the general bad ass-ness of the cover I had a horrible feeling that this was some sort of creationist science book or something, however after a brief flip through I quickly realised that it was just one of the most beautifully illustrated story books ever. Not only that but it was set out as though it was the found notebook of an explorer and his son recounting their adventure on this island. It was so well done, using this format to go into great detail about things that other books could possibly overlook or would think it pointless or off putting for children. Here's a depiction of how they raise the new born dinos and the alphabet he created for the book.

Anyway, my point is that seen as though I'm supposed to be showcasing a new tribe, i thought this would be the perfect way to layout my ideas, lets see how it goes.




No comments:

Post a Comment