Thursday 20 October 2011

And This Is Considered Work..... Awesome

I had one of those moments yesterday when you look at all your past work and decide it's all unbelievably sh*te, spit on it then fall to the floor crying. As most of you know this happens to any artist at least twice a year. I decided to give drawing from reference a real crack, obviously I've done this before in life drawing but it's always quick work and you can't elaborate on what's there, also it's boooorrrring. Of course like most boring things it's totally useful. So I decided to go outside with my lovely assistant Chrissi and we took pictures of each other in a totally non-weird way, here's one of me looking so good.


...So threatening. So yeah I pulled some standard fighting game poses, it's mainly legs and feet that I've always sucked at drawing so I was looking at the weight distribution and the foot placement. I took this picture then drew a basic body outline using the pose and stylised it slightly. Here it is.


   I was pretty happy how this turned out, this reference stuff really works. The feet are still a little off but I love the legs and i think it looks like the character is actually standing. This was kind of an a-sexual outline but I decided I wanted to make myself, mainly to fill a life long fantasy but also I keep reading that one you can draw girls guys are easy. Why are they always more complicated??
Next I did a rough sketch over the top.


So as you can see I basically just made some areas, *ahem*, stick out a bit further and there you have it, one emo babe. i really think that I'm getting close to the design i want for my whole project. This is a cleaned up version. 


This was the most fun ever and I.m totally happy with how she came out. I actually think this is a pretty rad costume, will have to refine a bit though. Next I'm gunna try to ink and hopefully colour her, I think she deserves it. 

I'll keep ya posted.  



No comments:

Post a Comment