Tuesday 15 November 2011

Check Me Out

Today I became a man in the eyes of my tutors, not that they know it yet. I just did one of those things that every art student is asked to do but i'm guessing around 3% actually do it, I was in that 3%, but not anymore my friend, not anymore.
Okay enough suspense, I was in town with Chris today doin' some christmas browsing when we decided to go into a gallery, we had a look around an I saw some paintings that I genuinely thought were awesome. I then wrote down the artists name, came home and researched him, and now I'm blogging about it. Boom, gold medals.
They were by a guy called Craig Davison and it was a collection showing children acting out they're fantasy scenarios. He uses a stylised technique which would probably be called "catoony" but then renders them beautifully. Here are a couple.

   
























I love that we can see that the kids are probably playing just by their poses but for me having the shadow in the background reminded me of how vivid things used to seem when I used to pretend, it instantly took me right back by about 15 years (maybe just 10 years)  and I think that's impressive for such a simple image.

  
I think I love this one the most because instead of reflecting what we imagine when we know we're pretending it's reflecting how the boys think of their gang in reality. Also the angles in the design just really appeal to me, they make the picture way more lively and interesting.
What I've taken away from this in terms of style is how important rendering is. I doubt it would be in that gallery if it was painted like a graphic novel, It's reached a new audience by having the colouring reminiscent of old story book illustrations. 
Right, time to work on some painting techniques.

No comments:

Post a Comment