Wednesday 23 November 2011

It's Okay Joe, He Has A Kid, Must Be Older Than You...

So last thursday for this amazing module "professional practice" module we had to do a presentation on an artist that inspires us, I wasn't intending to put this on my blog but as i was doing the presentation it starting hitting me how appropriate it was to my current project.
I did mine on Sean Galloway a freelance artist that I don't think many people have heard of of but he's probably most well known for being the lead character designer on 'The Spectacular Spider-Man' TV series, (you can see the connections already right). Anyway the reasons I love him so much, apart from the obvious Spider-Man link,  are first of all, his passion for his work, not a day goes by without a new piece of work on his web page. But second of all and probably mainly, is his use of simplicity in his designs, he can achieve a fully formed character in just a few strokes with masses of personality and a beautifully sleek look. His awesomeness can be witnessed below.


 His ability to subtly capture a whole person in just a quite understated caricature is incredible, every feature is different in every face. This is professional observational drawing at work here people.
 

All for one project and every character has their own look and personality from just a glimpse.

 Not sure what Spidey is doing in the top left in this one but whatever it is, it's drawn beautifully.
So this started to get me thinking about my designs and whether less is more some times, worth a shot anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment